7 July 1951
Background information about railroad
- The first train to run in America was in 1830s along the East coast.
- 80% of the central pacific workforces were Chinese workers.
- Theodore Judah, a civil engineer who helped built the first railroad.
- By the 1840s the railways network extended throughout the East, South, and Midwest.
- By 1900s the country had total mileage of 163,597.
- Railroad was the primary mode of transportation.
- One of the most famous streamline passenger trains was the Burlington’s Zephyr 9900 trainset and was built in 1934.
- The first Chinese was hired in 1865 and were paid $28 per month to do a very dangerous work.
Sources: Railroad lindahall